Israeli forces deliberately shoot Shirin Abu Agle, Palestinian Investigation Findings | Palestinian Territories

Palestinian Inquiry into Al Jazeera journalist Shirin Abu Agle was shot dead The Palestinian Authority says it has determined he was deliberately killed by Israeli forces as he tried to flee.

This result echoed the results of the initial investigation announced almost two weeks ago and was widely expected. Israel Rejecting the findings, Defense Secretary Penny Kants called them “blatant lies.”

Abu Agle, Senior Palestinian-American correspondent for Al Jazeera’s Arab ServiceHe was shot in the head during an Israeli military offensive in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin on May 11.

Witnesses and Palestinian officials say he was shot dead by Israeli gunmen. Israel says it was shot during a battle between Israeli troops and Palestinian militants. The Palestinian Authority (PA) claims that only a ballistic analysis of the bulletin could determine who fired the shots.

Announcing the results of his investigation at a news conference in Ramallah, Palestinian Attorney General Akram al-Ghadeeb said he had determined that there were no militants in the immediate area around Abu Agle.

“The shooting was carried out only by the occupation forces with the intention of killing,” he said.

Abu Akle was also part of a group of journalists who wore helmets and protective clothing marked “press”. Ghadeeb said the military had seen the journalists and knew they were journalists.

He accused Abu Agle of shooting him “directly and deliberately” as he tried to escape. He reiterated the Palestinian position that the bullet would not be handed over to the Israelis for inspection. [Israel] A new lie “.

Ghadeeb said his investigation was conducted on the basis of interviews with witnesses, examination of the scene and forensic medical report.

Sign up for the first edition of our free daily newsletter – BST every week at 7am

In a speech later Thursday, Lt. Gen. Aviv Kohawi, head of the Israeli security forces’ civil service, said he did not know who fired the bullets and called on the Palestinians to cooperate “at the grassroots.” What happened.

“But there is one thing that can be determined for sure,” he said. “No soldier deliberately fired on a journalist,” he said. We inquired. We checked it out. That is the result. Nothing else.

Israel denies targeting journalists and provided two possible scenarios in which Abu Agle was shot dead by Palestinian militants who fired indiscriminately at an Israeli military convoy or was shot at by an Israeli gunman targeting a nearby militant. The military has identified the gun used in that situation, but says the bullet must be tested to make a final decision.

An altercation of AP events has backed witnesses who claim he was shot dead by Israeli troops, who, despite wearing a helmet and pants, clearly identified himself as the media. But Reconstruction said a definitive finding could not be made without further forensic analysis.

Palestinian witnesses said there were no militants or clashes anywhere near Abu Agle. The only known militants in the area were on the other side of the convoy 300 meters from his position.

Unlike the convoy, which was about 200 meters away on the long straight road, they had no direct view.

Israel has publicly called for a joint investigation with the PA, including US involvement. But two weeks after Abu Agle’s death, the US State Department said on Wednesday that it had not received any formal request for help from either side.

The PA has refused to cooperate with Israel, saying it cannot trust Israel to investigate its own behavior. Rights groups say Israel has a poor record of conducting investigations when security forces shoot Palestinians, months before the cases end peacefully.

Palestinian High Commissioner Hussein al-Sheikh said Thursday’s report would be shared with the US administration. Copies will be given to Abu Agle’s family and them Al Jazeerahe said.

The Palestinians say they will share their findings with the international community, including the International Criminal Court, which launched an investigation into Israeli war crimes last year. Israel denied that the trial was against it and did not cooperate.

The deepest distrust is that the Israeli and Palestinian inquiries into Abu Agle’s death are coming out separately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.