Dyer Nichols: 5 Memphis officers shot dead after man hospitalized after arrest


The Memphis Police Department has fired five police officers Death of Dyer NicholasHe died in hospital after being arrested by police earlier this month, according to a post from the department A verified Twitter account.

“The heinous nature of this incident is no reflection on the good work that our officers do with integrity every day,” Police Chief Sherlyn “CJ” Davis said in a statement.

Investigators working on an internal review of the arrest found officers violated their use of force, duty to intervene and duty to render aid, the chief said.

Nichols’ family approved the layoffs, according to a statement from their attorneys.

“We join Dyer’s family in supporting the department’s decision to fire the five officers who brutalized him and ultimately caused his death. This is the first step toward justice for Dyer and his family,” said attorneys Ben Crump and Antonio Romanucci. Take responsibility.”

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is investigating whether the officers’ actions were criminal in nature.

“Due to the ongoing criminal investigation, the Memphis Police Association will not comment on the firing of officers in the Dyer Nichols case,” the union representing the officers said. “The citizens of Memphis, and most importantly, Mr. Nichols’ family deserve a full account of the events leading up to his death and what may have contributed to it.”

Also, the Justice Department and the FBI have opened a civil rights investigation.

On January 8, police announced that officers had pulled over a motorist for careless driving the previous day. “When officers approached the driver of the vehicle, a confrontation ensued and the suspect fled the scene on foot,” officials said in a statement. Posted on social media.

According to police, officers pursued the suspect and again attempted to take him into custody, and another confrontation ensued before the suspect was taken into custody.

“Later, the suspect complained of shortness of breath, at which time an ambulance was called to the scene. The suspect was taken to St. Francis Hospital in critical condition,” officials said.

The man, identified as Nichols, died a few days later. According to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Details of Nicholas’ injuries or cause of death have not been released. CNN has reached out to the Shelby County Coroner.

On Tuesday, city officials said video footage from the officers’ body-worn cameras would be released publicly after the police department’s internal investigation is complete and families are given a chance to review the footage.

Crump said Friday that the family will have a chance to see the footage “in the coming days.” He and his family plan a press conference Monday afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.